Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What's in a name?

A dear friend of mine had gotten into the habit of calling me Aim, and after a while (several months? a year?) I began to feel irritated by it. And then I began to feel frustrated with myself for not becoming aware of it sooner and for not mentioning it the instant that I became aware of it. I felt awkward about telling her, as she had been doing it for a long time. So I wrote a poem about it. 


Aim
Ready, aim, fire!

Amy
the name my parents gave me
their first child
"Beloved"

Aimlet
turnabout on an obnoxious teen,
proto-George Bush
nicknaming another kid.
"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Aimers
my first true love

Aimless
my sister
in the days when I really was

Aim
My aim is true

Aimeleh
my college friend
her grandmother's bubbeleh

Amu
a frequent typo of mine
adopted by DeeDee 

Amelia
Richard the composer
who wrote a piece for solo viola for me
A-Mi

Aimster
my softball mentor
gentle giant
as I played a team sport for the first time
at age 27

Aimily Dickinson
the name I give myself
as fledgling poet

Aim
not a name for me


In the end, after I wrote the poem, I blurted out to my friend that I don't like being called "Aim" and told her that I would send her the poem. And now I'm sharing it with you. 

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I hope she took the sentiment as gracefully as you expressed it !

    See you this weekend !

    - Danny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny! So nice to see you here. And thank you for the compliment!

      Delete

For those of you who know me, please help me to protect the privacy of my family by refraining from mentioning us by name.

To everyone, I welcome your comments. I am interested in hearing different opinions, but please be respectful to me and others who may comment.

Many thanks,

Amelia