Monday, June 2, 2014

Dmitri's Insight About Autism

Dmitri has continued to join Singularity for his ABA sessions throughout the spring, and as he has gotten to know us and the therapist he has relaxed quite a bit. He and Singularity have been sharing their special interests with each other, and they have both shown a lot of flexibility in respecting each other's interests. The last couple of times we have seen him, he has brought printouts of Super Mario characters. And he has also lent his favorite DVD. It has been a pleasure to see.

The last time we saw Dmitri, we watched an episode of his favorite show, in which one of the characters is upset because there was a rock blocking his path. Not just any path, but his favorite path.  The character, whom Dmitri identifies as the "foil", gets stuck. He can't imagine that there is any solution to the problem. The character's friend suggests going around the rock, but that isn't a satisfactory solution. Another friend suggests pushing the rock out of the way, but the character doesn't think it will work., so the friend recruits others to help push the rock out of the way. The operation is successful, of course.

And after the episode was over, Dmitri looked me and asked me if I thought that the character reminded me of someone with "some form of autism"! Of course, I had been thinking this all along. But it was impressive that Dmitri could make the text-to-self connection and see himself in the character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those of you who know me, please help me to protect the privacy of my family by refraining from mentioning us by name.

To everyone, I welcome your comments. I am interested in hearing different opinions, but please be respectful to me and others who may comment.

Many thanks,

Amelia