Thursday, April 3, 2014

Word Associations and Special Interests

Singularity and I have had a word association game going since March 12. It has been a nice way for me to tap into what he is thinking about. It came as no surprise that the three things he thinks the most about are Mario Kart, Minecraft and Club Penguin, as these are his three special interests (see also my previous post, "Special Interests and Other Interests").

Here is a random page from a day when Singularity and I were playing alone, which I have color-coded. Blue is for Mario Kart; yellow is for Minecraft, and pink is for Club Penguin. 



You can see from the colors that Club Penguin is on a downward trend. Also, my attempts at steering the word association in new directions tend to be futile! 

Here is another page from a day when we were playing with a group of 8 people. 



This was fantastic! When more people were present, Singularity was really able to let go of his perseverations and respond to other people's ideas in a more engaged fashion. In fact, for most of this page, I can't even tell which contributions were Singularity's. 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool idea to make these lists. I know a 12 year-old with Asperger's and she, too, could really benefit from and enjoy this game, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are who I think you are, hers would probably include the Cup Song and Let it Go from Frozen, Guys and Dolls, etc! :)

      Delete

For those of you who know me, please help me to protect the privacy of my family by refraining from mentioning us by name.

To everyone, I welcome your comments. I am interested in hearing different opinions, but please be respectful to me and others who may comment.

Many thanks,

Amelia